Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Tolkien Police

I don't much care for Peter Jackson, nor the "Tolkien Police" either for that matter. I don't belong to the Tolkien Society, nor do I bestow great honors upon people who claim to be 'experts.' I'll tell you what I'm going to do... It's really quite simple, I'm going to cite passages from the books, and write about what I've read. I don't need to study up on what some commercial venturist "Tolkien-Professor" has to say, and I'm not going to tell you that what I'm saying is authoritative either.  Peter Jackon's fan-fiction is just as detestable as the Tolkien Police and their nasty trollish habits of telling everybody what to do with their thoughts and how to read the books.

It's rather kind of like those priesthoods telling people what the Bible says.  I'm calling for a freedom unheard of in the land of Middle Earth, an escape from all the tirades of Tolkien Police, but also the idiotic fantasies of fan fictions. If you don't like Tolkien or the Silmarillion, don't read it. If you like Peter Jackson's movies, then go watch them. If you want to filter everything that everybody writes about Tolkien, because you fear it might somehow alter the text you have on your shelf, go write your own scholarly critiques, I owe nothing to any of these 'societies' and I don't have to pay any membership dues either.

J.R.R. Tolkien was this guy... he wrote a bunch of books. What is in those books is in those books. I don't believe I need to consult the almighty priest class of Tolkien societies, nor the fans of crappy movies before I write down some thoughts, nor think some thoughts. (Nor should you.)  If you feel that you have nothing better to do than criticize what I write, by all means, waste your time. I am not going to tell you what to read or how to read it, but there's plenty there in the books, not in Beowulf, not in Anglo-Saxon history, not in Catholic theology, not in neo-paganism, but right there in the books to look at and consider, and ultimately, I think it's getting lost in all this bullshit from Hollywood, as well as the "priest class" of self-proclaimed thought-police who start making demands before you even form a single notion... (I won't call them 'nerds' because I don't even know what that means any more).

What I will point to is what is fascinating and delightful that catches my eyes. If you're busy scouring the internet to attack people for what they write about Tolkien, then you're missing out on a great deal that's there on the pages he wrote. And guess what? I can be as 'creative' as I want to be when talking about what J.R.R. Tolkien wrote...

No comments:

Post a Comment